Welcome to a world of interesting work and inspiration working with Charlie Mac. First thing, let’s take care of some housekeeping.
All you need is a computer able to run Office 2019 and a reasonable internet connection.
Working with clients
Relationships and trust are really important to us. This means that you must:
- Respect and seek to understand all people we work with, even if you disagree with them. This means working within their view of the work and what is important to them.
- Don’t take anything personally. We are there to fulfil the needs of our clients and to work with them in a way that best suits them.
- Look to dress in a way similar to the clients you work with and to talk in a similar way so that we may work more closely with them.
- Protect the secrets of our clients (including commercially sensitive information and personal information). If unsure, don’t share any information about our clients and the work we do to anyone.
Managing your own work
- We will set a budget of hours for you for each week and objectives to achieve for the week. If you think you’ll need more time, let me know. If you don’t think you’ll need all the time you are budgeted for, then let me know too.
- Record all of the time you work. We can only get better at what we do if we understand how long things take.
- You can undertake the work you are given at any place that best suits you.
- On occasion, you’ll need to work with the client at their preferred location (usually at their HQ). Transport is your responsibility to organise and we can facilitate / fund in advance if needed.
- You can charge for travel time only (minus 30 mins each way, from your primary location). Include this travel time on your timesheet against the project you are working on when applicable.
- We will fund any additional expenses required to successfully complete the work you are assigned, as long as you seek approval from me before the expense is incurred.
- I find applying the Pomodoro method (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique) is really helpful in applying focus to the task at hand, but it is completely up to you if you use this. Note that there is a spot on your timesheets to help you record how many Pomodoros you spend on a task.
- If you are an employee, you are covered by our business insurance and work cover. If a situation arises where you may need to call on this cover, please let me know as soon as you can. Sub-contractors will need to have their own public liability and professional indemnity insurance at least to the level required by the clients that they will work with.
- Your Charlie Mac email address should be used for all the work you do with Charlie Mac. Please do not use your personal email address for work you do with Charlie Mac and for conversing with clients.